Applications of Laminated Glass in High- Security Areas
If you ever wondered how a laminated glass could protect you in so many ways, read on, and find out how. To start with, you need to understand what, why, and how of laminated glass.
Laminated glass is a well-treated glass that is a functional alternative to ordinary glass. It is known for its strength and durability and cannot easily be shattered or broken. The Shatterproof sticks to its frame in case of breakage and does not shatter.
What is it made of?
The secret lies here. Laminated glass is made of two or more sheets of glasses that are stuck together in place with the aid of another layer to form a strong permanent bond. The interior layer is usually made with PVB (Polyvinyl Butyral). The PVB bonds the layers of the glass and holds them together to form one robust layer. This bond between the glass and the PVB panel is a super chemical bond that does not easily shatter.
Why use Laminated Glass?
Laminated glasses are used for security purposes because it gives safety, security, noise reduction, solar energy control, and protection.
Laminated glasses are known for their performance in the severe impact. The PVB layer in the glass absorbs the impact and controls penetration. Even under extremely severe impact, this glass may break, but the broken glass fragments stick together, forming a layer, and do not easily break like ordinary glass. That is why it gives better safety.
Security is one of the key factors for the building. To protect your home, laminated glass is the best option. The robustness of the glass prevents intrusion, making it impossible for the burglar to enter.
It also works as an Insulated Glass and offers excellent protection from noise. The laminated glass prevents external noise from entering the building. It provides a 90 per cent noise reduction. This feature may much be needed if you are living near an airport, night clubs, and noisy traffic.
Laminated glass protects the building from extreme heat from the sun as it is a heat reflective glass. It reduces the heat leading to low consumption of the air conditioner bringing down your energy bills.
It is resistant to debris and dirt and protects your home from harmful elements. It shields the interior of your home from UV rays, protecting your furniture, rugs, and pictures from fading.
Application of Laminated Glass
Because of the strength and performance of the laminated glass, it has been widely used in residential areas as well as in business enterprises.
- The high-safety and anti-breakable features make it exceedingly indispensable for high-security places like banks, museums, jewel shops, money-exchange centres, and art galleries.
- Prisons implement laminated glasses to protect the prisoners as well as their premises.
- Because of its strong, robust nature, laminated glass is used to make bulletproof glass. It safeguards and protects the members in the shielded bulletproof laminated glass from terrorists and criminals.
- It adds another level of protection to places that conduct national and international meetings and gatherings.
- Laminated glass proffers better security and safety to residential places that are more prone to burglary, theft, and other criminal activities. High-risk areas can greatly benefit from installing laminated glass.
- It is the ideal material for constructing disaster-prone buildings to protect it from natural calamities like hurricanes and tornadoes.
- Laminated glasses are used as windshields in the car for maximum protection in case of accidents.
- It can be used as glass facades, skylights, sunspaces, glass floors, curtain walls, glass railings, roofs, etc.
- It is great to be used as overhead glazing in buildings.
- The noise insulation feature makes it ideal for airports, hotels, and recording studios.
Thus, the list of applying laminated glass is endless. The high-quality and high security makes it indispensable.