Difference Between 485 Visa Graduate work stream vs 485 visa post-study work stream

The subclass 485 visa is a great option for recent international graduates to remain in Australia after completing a course of study. The 485 visa is classified into two streams: a graduate work stream and a post-study work stream. The processing of this visa varies between 18 months to 4 years, based on the stream you apply to and your qualification. A graduate visa holder will allow working, study and travelling in and out of Australia for the duration of the visa term.  At some stage in life, the work right is beneficial for applicants who intend to apply for a skilled visa. To obtain a skilled visa application, post-qualification work experience can form a key component. The accumulated skilled visa points will improve your chances of a successful result. 

485 Visa Graduate work stream vs 485 visas post-study work stream:

Eligibility requirements:

Either for a Graduate work or post-study work stream visa, you need to meet eligibility requirements. After completing the course, you need to know about the limited period to apply for a graduate visa. If you fail to apply for the visa within the timeframe it will end up either in visa refusal or an invalid application. It may lead you to face serious issues and affect your ability to reapply for a graduate or other visa onshore.

When applying for a graduate visa, some key aspects include the date you apply and when granted your first student visa, similar to the post study work stream. A skilled occupation list applies when you apply under the graduate work stream. You would need to have a positive skills assessment. To demonstrate your eligibility, there are some specific requirements. This guide let you know about the eligibility requirements for each stream.  

What is the graduate visa?

The graduate visa is for international students who graduate and completed the qualification in the last 6 months. The course you applied for a period of at least 92 weeks. While completing your qualification, you must be physically located in Australia.

Eligibility criteria are common for both the Graduate work and post-study work streams.

  • Must meet the English language
  • Character and health requirements
  • Arrangement for health insurance

What are the Graduate visa streams and differences?

When applying for a graduate visa, you must select either the Graduate work or post-study work stream. However, for both the streams, you need to meet common eligibility criteria. The key differences between the two streams are discussed in more detail.

With a wider range of qualifications, you can qualify under the Graduate work stream than for the Post-study work stream. If you have completed a trade qualification, degree or diploma in 

Australia, you will be eligible for the Graduate work stream. The applicants who completed a bachelor degree or higher qualification are eligible to apply for a post-study work 485 visa.

The graduate work stream requires a skilled occupation that should be on the list of relevant skilled occupation list as per the Australian qualification and should have a positive skills assessment for your nominated occupation. This skill set is not required for the Post-study work stream.

You must apply for and be granted your first student visa to Australia to qualify for the post-study work stream. It does not require the graduate work stream.

Another difference is the visa validation period. The validation period for the regional graduate visa is valid for a shorter period of 18 months, and for the post-study work stream, the period is between 2 and 4 years. Other than this, the graduate visa is similar in other aspects.

If you have applied for your first student visa before 5 November 2011, you are not eligible for a post-study work stream visa. If you applied for your first student visa before 5 November 2011, you are eligible for a graduate work stream visa.

Wrapping it up:

I hope you have understood the difference between the post-study and graduate work streams. Understand the difference; apply for the visa that you are eligible to remain in Australia. If you have any doubts regarding your visa, then approach the right consultancy. The experts assist you in getting the right type of visa.


Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

default userpic